For nearly seven decades, Dr. Phyllis Mindell (TheWordGrandma) has been providing expertise in reading, writing, speaking, and all things communication to people around the world. In the interview, we discuss Phyllis’ new book, Words: Connect, Clarify, and Lead, and how residents and families can use their authentic voices to bolster their advocacy. We also chat about Phyllis’ experience going in and out of hospice, misconceptions about elderly and infirm, and the art of dying well.
Interview recorded November 15, 2021 and edited for clarity.
- Words: Connect, Clarify, and Lead by Dr. Phyllis Mindell and Erica Bryant is available online and in store at Politics and Prose (Washington, DC).
- Phyllis’ website, thewordgrandma.com/, offers free tips on reading, writing, speaking, and all things communication.
- Phyllis’ recommendations:
- The Art of Dying Well, by Katy Butler
- Live life one good day at a time
Host: Eric Goldwein
Production assistant: Casey Chu
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com