On this episode, research scientist and vaccine guru, Beth Nivin, MPH, chats about her experiences speaking with nursing home staff about COVID-19 vaccines as a consultant for the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene. Beth also provides an update on the latest research and data on vaccine efficacy and the Delta variant.
Interview recorded September 9, 2021 and edited for clarity.
- Beth spoke about vaccine safety and efficacy back in January on the NursingHome411 Podcast and also presented at an LTCCC webinar.
- The New York State DOH provides resident and staff vaccination data for nursing homes and adult care facilities.
- CDC: “A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) are less likely than unvaccinated persons to acquire SARS-CoV-2 or to transmit it to others.”
- A CDC study found that people who are not fully vaccinated “were more than 10 times more likely to be hospitalized, and 11 times more likely to die of covid-19, than those who were fully vaccinated.”
- Associated Press: Biden to require vaccines for nursing home staff.
- Slate: Nurses are battling vaccine misinformation from their own colleagues.
- Beth’s recommendation:
Host: Eric Goldwein
Production assistant: Casey Chu
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com