Resident-to-resident incidents can have devastating consequences for the residents involved as well as their families. But why do these incidents happen? Gerontologist Eilon Caspi, PhD (author of Understanding and Preventing Harmful Interactions Between Residents with Dementia) joins the NursingHome411 Podcast to discuss the causes of resident-to-resident incidents, how these incidents relate to neglect, risk-mitigation strategies for families, and the documentary “Fighting for Dignity.”
Interview recorded July 13, 2021 and edited for clarity.
- Click here to order Eilon Caspi’s new book “Understanding and Preventing Harmful Interactions Between Residents with Dementia” (launching in August).
- Journal of Elder Abuse & Neglect: The circumstances surrounding the death of 105 elders as a result of resident-to-resident incidents in dementia in long-term care homes.
- Eilon is the co-director of the documentary Fighting for Dignity produced by Terra Nova Films.
- In March, Eilon led a LTCCC webinar on how neglect led to bodily injury and death of 300 residents.
- Eilon’s recommendations
- Elder Voice Family Advocates (https://www.eldervoicefamilyadvocates.org/)
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
Eilon Caspi is a LTCCC board member.
Host: Eric Goldwein
Production assistant: Casey Chu
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com