Certified Nurse Aide (CNA) training & certification requirements vary considerably across the U.S. In some states, the requirements go beyond the federal minimum while in other states requirements are nearly identical to the federal standards.
This page displays New Jersey CNA Requirements as of February 2023.
To see requirements in other states, visit nursinghome411.org/cna-reqs.
New Jersey CNA Requirements
- Eligibility/Screening Requirements
- Provide evidence that he or she is of good moral character, including, but not limited to, compliance with the requirements of the Criminal Background Investigation Program in accordance with N.J.A.C. 8:43I; and
- Education & Training Requirement
- Individuals must complete a state approved nurse aide training and competency evaluation program.
- Testing Requirement
- Individuals must pass both a written and skills test.
- Renewal & In-Service Requirements
- Each nurse aide shall receive, at a minimum, 12 hours of regular in-service education per year, the content of which shall be based on the outcome of performance reviews of every nurse aide, which are completed at least once every 12 months.
- For renewal:
- At least seven hours of paid employment performing nursing or nursing-related services, in a licensed health care facility or agency, within the 24 months preceding your certificate expiration date.
- No revocation or suspension of a certificate.
- A criminal background check, with fingerprinting, prior to the certification expiration date.
- An approved training program for nurse aides shall consist of 90 hours of training. This shall include 50 hours of classroom instruction and 40 hours of clinical experience in a New Jersey licensed long-term care facility.
- A program of individualized orientation of each nurse aide shall be conducted by a registered professional nurse. The orientation program shall include resident care training and demonstrations in basic nursing skills, followed by an internship of two to five days, depending on experience.
- The training course includes the modules listed below:
- The Core Curriculum for the Nurse Aide in Long-Term Care Facilities Training and Competency Evaluation Program
- Psycho-Social Needs of Residents
- Physical Needs of the Resident
- Spiritual, Recreational, and Activity Needs of the Resident.
- The New Jersey Curriculum for Nurse Aide Personnel in Long Term Care Facilities “Curriculum” has been developed by the Department for use in the NATCEP. The training programs must use the Department approved Curriculum. The entire content of the Curriculum is to be covered during each training course. CONTENT MAY NEITHER BE ADDED TO NOR DELETED FROM THE CURRICULUM.
- New Jersey Nurse Aide Program Requirements
- NJ Nurse Aide Renewal
- J. Admin. Code § 8:39-43.10 et. seq.
- J. Stat. Ann. § 45:11-81