Interviews were conducted in the months following the COVID-19 vaccine rollout (April through August 2021). LTCCC asked participants about the impact of COVID-19, visitation restrictions, policy recommendations, and more. Several themes emerged, including:
- Isolation: The physical and psychological toll of lockdowns.
- Infantilization: A loss of dignity and autonomy.
- Inequality: Ageism, racism, sexism, and classism shaping the long-term care system.
- Exposure: Longstanding issues (i.e., staffing) brought to light by the pandemic.
- Tech Transition: The pros and cons of increased dependence on technology in nursing homes.
We hope that this project will amplify the voices of those who have been silenced in the past two years. As we look to the future of long-term care, we must preserve the stories that shaped its past.
Listen to interviews and soundbites at nursinghome411.org/oral-history.