Gloria Murray, ombudsman program director with LTCCC, talks about the role of ombudsmen as mediators and advocates for long term care residents. Murray also discusses the challenges facing ombudsman programs and chats about her career journey from nursing, to sales, to her current position as Hudson Valley’s ombudsman program director.
Background reading and references:
- Video explaining the role of ombudsmen via National Consumer Voice’s ombudsman resource center: ltcombudsman.org.
- National Consumer Voice’s COVID-19 resource center for ombudsman programs.
- Information and volunteer opportunities for LTCCC’s ombudsman program.
- LTCCC’s February 2020 statement on New York’s long term care ombudsman program: “Time to Support a Vital Resource for Seniors in Residential Care.”
- Website for New York State’s Office of the State Long Term Care Ombudsman.
- Murray’s book recommendation: “How to Say It to Seniors: Closing the Communication Gap with Our Elders” by David Solie
Host: Eric Goldwein
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com
Note: Hudson Valley’s ombudsman program is hosted by LTCCC.