The Maryland Baptist Aged Home, a small black-owned West Baltimore nursing home, is beating the odds during the pandemic and has kept its COVID-19 case count at zero. Johana Walburn, the nursing home’s administrator, joins the show to talk about the infection control practices and socially distanced activities that have helped keep Maryland Baptist’s residents safe and engaged during the pandemic.
Note: Interview recorded August 6, 2020.
Background reading and references:
- Maryland Baptist Aged Home’s website: https://marylandbaptistagedhome.org/
- Maryland Baptist has been featured in numerous media outlets, including:
- Baltimore Sun: How a West Baltimore nursing home has zero COVID-19 infections Washington Post
- NPR: How One Maryland Nursing Home Avoided COVID-19
- Washington Post: In Baltimore, a struggling, black-owned nursing home keeps covid-19 at bay
- Numerous studies have found that nursing homes with higher concentration of Medicaid or racial/ethnic minority residents have had worse COVID-19 outcomes
- Politico: California’s Veterans Affairs Department nursing homes have dramatically reduced death rates thanks to organization, PPE access, and full staffing
- Johana’s recommendations:
- Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump
- Volunteer at a nursing home and be a pen pal! Contact Maryland Baptist at 410-945-7650 or email@example.com
Host: Eric Goldwein
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts / Spotify / Google Podcasts