LTCCC’s Executive Director Richard Mollot and Policy Attorney Dara Valanejad join the show to discuss COVID-19 and how infection control issues have plagued nursing home facilities long before the current pandemic. We also chat about the problems posed by newly implemented visitation restrictions aimed at stopping the spread of the coronavirus.
Background reading and references:
- Seattle Times: Article and interactive timeline of the Coronavirus outbreak at Life Care Center of Kirkland.
- LTCCC Coronavirus resource page.
- A New York Times report on the Wanaque adenovirus outbreak that led to a total of 12 deaths.
- Kaiser Health News: Coronavirus Stress Test: Many 5-Star Nursing Homes Have Infection-Control Lapses.
- NBC News: Trump administration proposed rollbacks facing criticism amid outbreak.
- Proposed rollbacks.
- Stories on Buffalo News and the New York Times on how residents and families are coping visiting restrictions.
Host: Eric Goldwein