Texas-based attorney Ernie Tosh joins the show to discuss the relationship between nursing home finances, staffing, and resident care. Tosh also shared tips on using public nursing home data and chatted about his career path to becoming a data-driven attorney advocating for nursing home residents.
Note: Interview recorded April 22, 2020.
Background reading and references:
- Visit Tosh’s website: https://www.toshlawfirm.com/ and email at email@example.com
- Tosh was quoted in this must-read California Sunday investigation on COVID-19 and nursing homes
- Transcript from Maxim vs. Kindred
- Nursing Home Compare’s data page: https://data.medicare.gov/data/nursing-home-compare
- PBJ data is available at data.cms.gov
- Tosh’s recommendations
- Dr. Charlene Harrington, the country’s leading expert on nursing home staffing. (Harrington recently appeared on the Nursing Home 411 Podcast to discuss the perils of long-term care privatization. Harrington’s recent study examined the association of nursing home staffing on COVID-19 outcomes)
- The Boys
Host: Eric Goldwein
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts / Spotify / Google Podcasts