Geriatrician and researcher Dr. Nathan Stall has been on the front line serving Ontario’s long-term care residents both as a physician and a researcher, advocating for more humane COVID visitation policies and other critical resident rights. In the interview we discuss the collateral COVID damage for nursing home residents, Canada vs. U.S. LTC COVID outcomes, the weaponization of LTC research, and more.
Interview recorded February 16, 2021 and edited for clarity.
Background reading and references:
- Follow Nathan on Twitter (@NathanStall) and check out his published work on Google Scholar.
- JAMDA article on a balanced approach to reopening nursing homes to visitation.
- Research finding increased prescribing of psychotropic medications to Ontario LTC residents during the pandemic.
- Research examining COVID outcomes in for-profit vs. non-profit facilities.
- Sportsnet: Blue Jays’ Springer signing forges bond between Godfrey and COVID doctor.
- Nathan’s recommendations:
- Neglected No More by Andre Picard
- Prince’s Piano and a Microphone (1983)
Host: Eric Goldwein
Music: Liturgy of the Street by Shane Ivers – https://www.silvermansound.com
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts / Spotify